Thursday, April 17, 2014

Train Wreck

Rome: We came, we saw, we got conquered. A missed flight, five hours of hopelessness, an unfathomable amount of redirection, and three different train stations have managed to set the bar for the worst day ever. Although it wasn't in my plans to miss spring break in Malta, I know it was part of God's. Never before have I been so sure of feeling God's will. As confident as I was going into my 10 days of spring break, I have yet to doubt that God kept me (us) away from there for a reason. It's hard to see past the money that has now been wasted toward the trip, but at the same time, "it's such a first world problem," Jessi and I kept reminding each other. There are so many worldly issues going on, and all that happened to us was that we missed out on Malta. I would have never even considered going to Malta before my Czech Republic adventure because I didn’t even know of its existence. So we missed our flight and were trapped in Rome without any Wi-Fi or source of communication, big whoop. We had each other and didn't have to go through anything alone. Together we spent what would have been our first night on the beach and warm, sleeping in the airport, shivering ourselves to sleep (and being circled by homeless people). As scary as it sounds, it was; definitely never want to do it again. Our entire day was exactly what you hear of happening to someone but never expect that someone to be you. Fortunately, by the end of our catastrophic day, we were able to book a next day flight Rome to Prague. We were beyond blessed to finally have somewhat of a plan for getting home. From the several travel agents, bus and train stations our day consisted of, we were told over and over that nothing was heading anywhere near home until after Easter. Several even replied by saying, “Impossible!” over and over again. Without any hesitation we finalized our tickets and proceeded to wait at the airport overnight, having the sketchiest sleepover two girls could ever imagine. Don't worry though! We took shifts of sleeping and watching over each other and our luggage. Oh yea, we were also grateful to even have our luggage because after nearly throwing up hearing that our flight to Malta was gone, we panicked about our luggage being stolen as we waited a half hour to receive it. However, we made it through the night, made it on to our flight to Prague, and caught a train to Olomouc just in the neck of time. Following our arrival into Prague, we were getting on the tram to head to the train station, and a man asked us, in clear English, if we knew where we were going. Jessi and I didn't hesitate a second to engage in conversation with this gentleman and his wife. We were elated to hear English spoken in a kind tone to us for a change! The couple was coming back to the Czech Republic from their hometown in Minnesota. They live here in the Czech Republic as missionaries, training youth pastors through the evangelical church. I thought it was rather amazing on account of the majority of the Czech Republic are non-religious. The couple asked us if we would help them with their loads of luggage, and in exchange they helped us get onto the right train. It's safe to say that meeting them was a rewarding end to our journey. Above all, Jessi and I are alive and healthy and back home in Olomouc where we're supposed to be, for now at least. Looking on the brighter side though, we were granted with 60 degree weather while trekking all over Rome's train stations and airports. Neither of us got pick pocketed or mugged. We even got a few laughs out of each other in between all of the crying! For instance, instead of being asked why I was crying, I got told by various people not to sit there, wherever "there" was at the time. No sympathy over here in Europe whatsoever. Jessi got slammed in between a sliding glass gate after I had already gone through. Following that we experienced yet another chasing of a tram/train! Jessi and I chase trams together like it's our job. Our typical day in Olomouc consists of at least one sprint to the tram stop, ha! Half of the time it's not even the right tram we're running to because I can never see far enough to read the number. Jessi is my roommate here in Olomouc, to all who don't know. We had met once, maybe twice before this trip, but you'd never guess that. We've been like two peas in a pod most of this trip even though we differ from one another in a lot of ways. However, I think our mixed views of pure doubt and over confidence toward our lone traveling actually balanced each other out; there was always one of us calm when one of us was not. Wrapping up on our time spent in Rome though, it really wasn't worth it. It was everything you would imagine; to say you've been to Vatican City, the Trevi Fountain, and Colosseum but sadly there was no "and more". We literally saw what there was to see and that was that. I would have much rather skipped Rome and headed straight to Malta, but like I said before, everything has happened this way for a reason; a reason that I am currently clueless of but have faith in the Lord that He knows, and that's all that matters. Thanks for reading, love and miss you all!

-Molly

Random Stuff:
  • I had a full on Spanish conversation with an Italian when I was choosing what kind of wine I wanted.
  • I've fallen down/tripped here in Europe more than I have in the past nine years; in the streets, on the sidewalks and down the stairs.
  • I/we got gelato five times while being in Rome. Three scoops each time and dipped in white chocolate, and we were only there for two days. 
  • Three words: pasta in Italy. Four days between Venice and Rome, and at least six different handmade pastas and sauces beyond satisfied me.
Stay tuned in for pictures that I'll be posting within the next few days!


No comments:

Post a Comment